Thursday, July 29, 2010

Iron Giant Sketch and Painting WIP

Any of you who know my two-year-old son probably know about his obsession with The Iron Giant. He watches it almost every day. In fact, he knows it so well that he directs my wife and me in role-playing his favorite scenes, commanding us to "stand over there. You're looking at the giant building [power plant], and I'm the Iron Giant in the trees." Then he proceeds to walk around making loud stomping sounds with his mouth. This continues for some time, until we tire of it and distract him with something else. Or put the movie on again. I'm actually quite glad that he likes the movie. I think it's one of those oft-overlooked gems, and it's one of my favorite movies.

I decided to do a drawing and painting of the Iron Giant for my son as a painting practice exercise. Here's the sketch on toned paper and the work-in-progress painting I've begun in Photoshop. It's kind of fun once in a while to do a piece whose sole purpose is to practice painting and not to have to worry about designing something from scratch. I'll post updates as I go.


1 comment:

daMawma said...

That will be the coolest painting EVER for your son's bedroom. Including him in it makes it so personal.